Learn a little bit about the ‘how’ and ‘why’ of sample coaching sessions. CTI faculty member Marlena deCarion shares about intention, perspective, and impact that can be created during a sample session.
Runtime: 5:56 minutes
Powerful Sample Session
Go a little deeper into sample coaching sessions with CTI faculty member Marlena deCarion who outlines some specific ideas on formats to help you create a powerful sample session.
Runtime: 8:02 minutes
Sample Session Outline
Observe your attitude
What’s your perspective going in? Who are you being?
- I need you as a client. I am desperate.
- This is a gift I am offering. I am offering value.
- I love coaching and I want to practice as much as possible
- I have 15-20 minutes to really SEE this person, acknowledge and champion them.
- I have a short amount of time to help them shift and feel the power of what coaching is.
Set up (10 minutes)
- 1. Find out if we are a match
- 2. Client leaves with something powerful today, leaves with value
How to structure
- Small talk to connect, create some comfort.
- Explain what will happen in the session:
- We will talk a bit, coach a bit and leave time for Q & A.
- During Q& A I can explain my format and fees.
- You can decide at the end of the session or take time to think about it.
- Understand their experience with coaching:
- Coaching: have they had it previously? What worked? What didn’t?
- Explain what coaching is:
- Taking someone from where they are to where they want to be -forwarding the action, deepening the learning
- Closing the gap between you and who you want to be
- Helping someone live their full potential
- Tapping their inner resources
- Design your alliance:
- Requests, Challenges – yes, no , counteroffer
- Do I have permission to coach you like I do my other clients?
Coaching (15-20 minutes)
Identify a topic they want to discuss
- What do you want?
- What’s important about this?
- Look for Values ACKNOWLEDGE and CHAMPION
Do “Wheel of Life” with their topic
- What do you notice about your wheel?
- What area would you like to focus on first?
- What number do you want it to be?
- This is your wheel now. Where would you like it 6-9 months from now?
Debrief (5-10 minutes)
- What is different now after being coached?
- What value have you gotten?
- What is possible in your life if you continued with coaching?
Complete (5-10 minutes)
- What else do you need to know to make your decision?
- Format and fees:
- How often, how long
- Explain discovery session
- Explain email communication
- Fees: does that meet your budget?
- When and how will you let me know?